Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekend Eats

This weekend was a hard weekend. We had two couples invite us over for dinner. When you have allergies or diseases, it's very difficult to go to other's homes for dinner. You have to explain what you can and can't eat and try to help them understand. So to invite Robb and I over, you have to understand that you can't have dairy, wheat or meat (since I'm a vegetarian). This weekend was definitely trying as I had to call my friends to help them understand what we can and can't eat.

The conversation goes like this...

"I don't mean to be rude but I need to understand what you are thinking of making for dinner because we have many food restrictions."

"Scallops and Terryaki Chicken"

"Okay, how are you preparing these?"

"Terryaki Sauce and in butter"

"Great, can't have Terryaki but are you using real butter or margarine?"

"Butter"

"Great then we will be good to go."

While this may not seem like a lot when you go through it twice and people start to realize everything that has wheat, dairy or meat in it, the task of preparing dinner for us is a little daunting.

I have now come up with a solution. I just tell everyone that the best mode for us is to have simple, real food with minimal spices. That usually will work and do the trick.

I hope this helps you.

No comments:

Post a Comment