Sunday, February 15, 2009

Guacamole

I have to credit my good friend Nicole for the inspiration for this recipe. Two years ago we were at the cabin and she made guacamole, I said I don't like guacamole, I'll just eat chips. She encouraged me to eat it and I've been hooked ever since...I have adjusted this recipe to fit my tastes so I'll describe what I put in and how I make it with where you can make adjustments to taste. This is the best recipe. I get hungry just thinking about making it!!!

Ingredients

2 ripe avocados
2 jalepeno peppers
1 tomato
1 onion
1/4 fresh lime
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp cilantro

1) Cut the avocados in half, scoop out the avocado meat.
Throw away the seed, however I'm going to try to grow an avocado tree.. we will see how that goes.
Put these into a medium mixing bowl

2) Slice up the jalepeno's - here's the to taste part, I use the full jalepeno's seeds and all go in. Some think that is too spicy so they only use the seeds from one pepper and others take all the seeds out. This is your discretion.
Toss these into the mixing bowl and give it a stir

3) Dice up the tomato. This is also to taste. I don't love tomato's so I only use 1/2 a tomato, others use the entire tomato. However you do it, make certain to dice it up and throw the meat and juice on the cutting board into the mixing bowl. Give the mix a stir. It should be starting to get to the consistency you are used to seeing in the restaurants

4) Dice up the onion. Again using as much as you like. I use 1/4 of the onion because raw onion to me is gross but the guacamole without it is bad too so don't omit but but dice it up good if you don't love raw onions. Throw that into the bowl and stir again.

5) You have to use fresh lime. The stuff in the bottle just doesn't taste as good and come on a lime is what 50 cents, totally worth it!!! Just cut quarter off and sqeeze and of course stir the mixture up.

6) Peel the three cloves of garlic and put them in the press. Just press them right over the bowl and stir it in the mix.

7) Cilantro for me is hard to keep on hand, so I bought the frozen cilantro at Trader Joe's already frozen in the 1 teaspoon measurement. I pull one out and put it in the mix, stirring vigorously.

That is it...all you need to be able to do is chop and stir to make this guacamole. It's delicious, fresh and nutritous!! Grab some corn chips (making certain they are for sure just corn) and enjoy!

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment