Thursday, February 19, 2009

Indian Food

Last night we had Indian food, which is the easiest meal now that the sauce in the jar is good. Now I know some of you turn up your noses at this but I'll tell you I think it's the best tasting food around. My twist last night was that I cooked the rice in turmeric and butter water. It gave just enough spice to add something to the dish. Here's what we had:

1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 jar Tikki Masala sauce (I buy at my regular grocery store, brand Patak's and use only 1/2 the jar for two people)
1 cup frozen cauliflower (use the little cauliflowers from the bottom of the bag and break the others up into smaller pieces)
2 cups of water
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp butter
1 cup long grain brown rice (really can use any rice here but adjust the water for the rice needs)

1) Boil water with turmeric and butter

2) Add rice and put on simmer for 40 minutes

3) Open Garbanzo beans (Chickpeas) and drain, put in pan with 1/2 jar of Tikki Masala sauce, simmer these together for 20 minutes

4) Add cauliflower to Masala and simmer for additional 20 minutes

You are ready to serve. The turmeric in the rice just gives this dish a little added spice and the cauliflower adds the veggie.

This is also good with Nan but that has gluten so then it's not a gluten free dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment