Monday, January 26, 2009

Getting Over This Is Too Hard

So when I started dating my now husband and realized that he had food allergies I thought what am I getting myself into. He can't eat any dairy and cheese makes everything taste better. He can't eat wheat. Wheat seemed to be a mainstay of my diet. He was all organic. I ate what was on sale organic or not. I thought this was going to be too hard to overcome. Well, I'm here to tell you, it isn't hard. My first attempts at cooking were very rudimentary. I would pan fry a couple pieces of chicken, a baked potato and some steamed green vegetable. I couldn't get past the fact that nothing I normally made would be alright for him to eat. It was the most bland portion of my cooking life ever. I was afraid of most combined spices because most contain wheat. Everything is different so reading ingredients is essential to gluten free cooking. However, I found a taco seasoning brand that works and we were able to add mexican food back into the menu plan. In the past three years of cooking for my husband, I have since become much more versitile in cooking. My ahh-ha moment came when I realized that truly gluten free cooking is making everything from scratch so you know exactly what is in your meal. Yes, there are still times when the chicken, potato and steam veggie are all I can manage to prepare but I have come to realize that they don't have to be the mainstay diet at our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment